Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Six year ago...

Six years ago today, the World Trade Center was hit by terrorists.
Six years ago today, many people lost their lives.
It's hard to believe it was really six years ago. But I know it was because my little baby boy was only 4 months old. I really being scared. Scared of what had happened, and scared of what I thought was coming.
On the morning of September 11, 2001.... I was at my sister's house babysitting. My 3 children were there... as was Nellie, and Paige. It was Colin's first day of preschool. Since there were 5 children there, all under the age of 5, we spent the morning watching PBS. I called my mother to ask her someone, and she was crying. All she said to me was "We're at war". I had no idea what she was talking about, and she told me to turn on the news. What I saw stunned me. I was mesmerized. I was glued to the TV. I was obsessed with the news coverage. My mother works for Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and they had an office in the World Trade Center. Some of Art's family work in the city and had to walk out. My friend Sarah took her picture at the top of the World Trade Center just days before. I cried because I didn't know what would happen; would our country be attacked again? What kind of life would my kids have?
I was hard to shield my kids from the news... I wanted to watch it constantly. But I didn't want to scare them so I didn't let them see it.
And here we are six years later. There was a program on last night about one of the planes and it's passengers... We started to watch, until it mentioned a little girl and then we had to turn it off. Too sad. But Samantha was intrigued, wanted to know what it was, what had happened. I tried to tell her as lightly as I could... but how does one tell the story lightly?
I remember that day vividly. I will never forget. A big THANK YOU to all the men and women in the military who stepped up after 9/11 and are helping to keep me and my family safe. God bless them all.

4 comments:

Amy Marie said...

Oh Tracy it's crazy how we all remember the same event in such different ways as it touched our lives.

Rosemary said...

I have read this through several times, it is a eally beautifully written entry and I so agree with your comments at the end.

Jenn said...

well said

Unknown said...

I think you have written about it beautifully.